Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm clean and sober... now what?

Have you been clean and sober for some time now, maybe a year or so? Are you wondering what’s next? In my case it was at about ten years of sobriety when I realized that there had to be more finally being happy than just not using. After ten years of sobriety I was still living in a crappy apartment, working at a job I didn’t want and living paycheck to paycheck.

While I was completely grateful for my sobriety and fortunate for the help I received, I wanted to continue grow and achieve. I knew life could be better but I didn’t know how. I sure enough knew what I didn’t want, the crappy apartment, the dead end job and being dead broke. If you asked me what I did want I couldn’t tell you anything of consequence. Sure I wanted lots of money and things but I couldn’t really come up with anything meaningful. Why hadn’t I ever thought this through?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized how little thinking I had been doing. After much pondering ‘What do I want?’ led to many other questions. In the end I realized there are 5 basic questions that I needed to answer before I could determine my new path in life. The first and foremost question being Who Am I?

Have you ever really though about that? What a tough question! Do you define yourself by what you do or how you behave? Or is it who you think others believe you are? Give it some thought. I’d love to know what you think. Be sure to add your comment.

You can read about all 5 questions and how I answered them by visiting the website for my new book “Sober Conversation

No comments:

Post a Comment