Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Give Me One Good Reason!

We are all painfully aware of all of the bad things that can happen to us if we continue drinking and doing drugs. We have been reminded a thousand times of the destruction and loss that comes with refusing to stay sober. I knew I was ruining my life and the lives of people who love me, but that didn't stop me. When was the last time anyone thought about all the great things that can happen when you are sober? I hear all the war stories and tragedies at meetings but nobody ever follows up those stories with all the incredible things that have happened to them since they have gotten sober. Wouldn't it be nice to hear more success stories that came from people who nearly didn't make it? I'll speak for myself in saying that I absolutely had to do the 12 steps in order to put myself in a position to remain sober. Having goals and ambitions is an enormous part of my staying sober. Being sober and waiting around for time to pass is a killer for me. I thrive on being positive and working toward goals. I love helping people that want help. There is more than enough negativity out there. I would love to see more blogs that can encourage newcomers to get and stay sober. It seems to me it is easier to run to something good than to run from something bad! - Just one sober guy's opinion.

2 comments:

  1. yeah. Amen!
    negativity SUCKS! Hahhaa. deliberate contradiction.
    when i started blogging last ? July, it seemed that all the blogs were ? mini diaries or something. that idea just didn't appeal to me for some reason, so i thought I'll just put down some stuff I repeat verbally ANYWAY, and it'll save me having to say the SAME thing OVER and OVER. well anyway. i'm sure some more 'diary' types interpreted my blog as ? arrogant and preaching because I was effectively making statements about techniques I use rather than making descriptive accounts of daily activity. but you know what? I DON"T CARE what other people think. anyway. the upshot was I just did it anyway, SURE that some thought i was a bit of a freak. the result? well it seems to have worked out ok. the general consensus would appear to be that I am NOT considered to be a freak, and there are more bloggers adopting a less diary-led approach to posting than there was in July 06. the moral of the story? Just do WHATEVER you like. WHATEVER makes sense to YOU. just try it and see what happens. and if you don't like it, try something else! see> easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I sure hope that some day my blog can turn into a very encouraging experience to the newcomer. I am not there yet, but hopefully I can help one that is sober stay sober.

    Irish friend of Bill, I love her blog. She has so much dept and I often revert to the many resources and experiences she has to offer.

    For now my blog acts as a way to get some of this internal poison out. How I never imagined I would be on the side of desperation and admitted my fall outs as an alcoholic. We shall see.

    Everyone has a different take, and I appreciate all the recovery substance of everyone who blogs.

    One time I remember my sober sister in the fellowship telling me how she wished the speakers (@ this particular Friday night meeting we attand) would share more about "how it is." It would piss her off. However I thought "I love the learning about how it was." That offered me hope, still does actually.

    Thanks for checking up on me, I truly am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete