Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sample #3 from the book "Sober Conversation"

Brian was shaking his head slightly. “I know this sounds stupid, but I’ve never really thought about controlling what happens to me. I’ve always just accepted whatever came along, for good or bad.”“That doesn’t sound stupid at all. You’re not alone.” Aaron reassured him. “That’s how a great many people go through life. That’s what separates the people who are achieving their goals from the people that sit around letting life happen to them. If you’re not happy with where you are, then you have to do something about it. That process starts with deciding what you want from life and knowing where you are in relation to that.”“So you’re saying I’ve got to get out of the back seat and into the driver’s seat. I have to be the one steering the bus.” Brian was starting to understand. I’m feeling so uncertain because I have no control of where I’m going. I’ve been waiting to see what happens next instead of deciding what happens next.”“Robin was right. You are a smart kid.” Aaron said with a smile. “You’re going to do just fine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment