Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm Clean and Sober. Now What?

Let me start by saying that the last 3 years have truly sucked. I was forced to close my business to avoid losing even more money than I already had, the economy has been terrible and the industry I have spent 20 years in has all but vanished. For years I earned over $100K per year and now after my 41st birthday I'm working for $40K. And in a bizarre twist, my mortgage hasn't gone down at all! Imagine that.

When I'm all done feeling sorry for myself, I remember a few key points; I have a healthy family, I have a home of my own, there are people that would be thrilled to make $40k, and despite all of the bitching and whining I hear, I live in an amazing country.

The most important truth I need to remember is that there would be no job, no wife, no great kids, no baseball team to coach if I hadn't gotten sober so many years ago. I would have been dead. Plain and simple. The fact is that getting clean and sober doesn't change the challenges I have to face, it only changes my ability to cope with them. I am extremely proud of the sobriety time I have accumulated but it only puts me on level ground with the rest of the human race.

I can't imagine going back to the person I used to be. I used to think I was so strong. I used to think that all of the trouble i got into made me tough but I have come to realize that real strength is going to work everyday, paying the mortgage on time, being the role model for my kids, doing the right thing every time and most of all - being grateful for everything I am blessed with.

4 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Joanne and I was 3 years sober in April I quit pills weed booze. I love my new outlook on my life. Recenlty I been kinda setting myself up for failure because I started smoking weed the start of summer,I used everyone elses partying as a excuse to use, the only positive the weed has on my life is it helps me get out of bed in the morning which is one thing I could never do because of stomach pain. So I never finished school or had a serious job and this is how I found this blog because I goggled Sober now what? Im a 26 year old mother of 3 boys Chris 9months Austin 5 and Damian 9. 3 years sober but I need more guideness from other sober living peoples. I live in a very small town joined a A.A group just to find out my whole group is super gossipy instead of helpful. Im sober today because of my boys my family. The sopport from my family is surprizing and really undeserveing but I accept their sopport and do my best to shoe my graditude and aprecition. I spent the last 3 years helping others by being avshould to cry on or a ear to vent to. People really enjoy hearing my perspective about diffrent life situation I dont solve their problem I just give them a more positive way at looking at it and always reminding people to let go of negitive thing and only surround yourself with good loving honest people. But why do I turn to weed knowing that its only holding me back from from secuss like for exsample school and work is hard for me in account of my soical anxiety disorder. So the longer I smoke the longer that its going to take me to overcome this disorder...im the type of addict that only knew about the life of addiction,pain,drama so on I tell people all the time when I got sober I was born so im just a wobbly toddler learning to walk on my own. This comment turned into more than I expected. I love all addicts and drunks ya'll are my family and my heros. I will spend the rest of my life doing good on this earth and show others that no matter their situation life is always good and theirs many things to be greatful for. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What you did is a great feat. It means too much sacrifice and courage on your part and the willingness to change. I will give credit to your sober companion, he did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your success in sobriety, Aaron. You have a good heart and mind, so I believe that you will have no problems in overcoming any hurdle that comes your way. I agree with what you wrote that being sober doesn't change the challenges you face, but it gives you more capacity to handle things better. How are you and your family now?

    Dinah Gerdts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is more worth living if you are sober and have a loving and healthy family.

    ReplyDelete